NANAIMO — An extended standoff between a 39-year-old man and police ended peacefully, with multiple charges pending.
Local Mounties had been tracking the as-yet unnamed man for a separate incident, work which led them to a home on Jingle Pot Rd. at Avonlea Dr. on Sunday, Feb. 2.
Reserve Cst. Gary O’Brien told NanaimoNewsNOW the man has a history of violence and police knew he has access to weapons.
“There was an ongoing report of threats being made by an individual towards another person. We were actively looking for the suspect and that individual was tracked to a home on the north end of Jingle Pot Rd.”
The man barricaded himself into the home, with officers calling in the RCMP Emergency Response Team (ERT) and crisis negotiators to take over.
O’Brien said after some time, the negotiator peacefully ended the situation and the man left the house voluntarily, before being taken into custody.
He remains in custody and is due in court later on Monday, Feb. 3., potentially facing several charges.
O’Brien added a large response is key in situations like this, to ensure public safety.
“We know this person had made threats, there were threats to the public and we were looking for him. A lot of behind the scenes resources were involved tracking the person to that home, and as a result we have to think about the safety of not only the residence, but the people potentially in that house as well.”
There were no injuries or property damage reported from the incident.
RCMP closed Jingle Pot Rd. on both sides of the home during the extended incident.
Follow us on Facebook. Join Everything Nanaimo on Facebook and stay connected with everything happening on central Vancouver Island.
info@nanaimonewsnow.com
Follow us on: Twitter (X) | Bluesky | Facebook










