NANAIMO — A section of the Nanaimo Parkway will be closed in both directions for a short period of time on Friday, Aug. 23.
The City of Nanaimo confirmed Nanaimo RCMP will close both directions of Hwy. 19 between Aulds Rd. and Mostar Rd. between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.
The closure is to allow RCMP officers time and space to “conduct an investigation”, although the nature of the investigation is unclear.
Travellers are advised to take an alternate route during the closure.
While not confirmed by the City of Nanaimo, or Nanaimo RCMP, the section of Parkway being closed Friday is the same area where a fatal collision occurred earlier this month.
On Aug. 10, at around 8:30 p.m., a southbound vehicle apparently lost control and crossed over the grassy median into oncoming traffic near the Dunster Rd. overpass.
The car collided with a northbound SUV, resulting in a large fire and the ultimately fatal injuries to the driver of the SUV.
Police said at the time the driver of the vehicle which lost control suffered serious, but non-life threatening injuries.
The roadway was closed between Aulds Rd. and Mostar Rd. for several hours as police conducted an initial investigation.
No criminal charges have been laid in connection to the incident, however police said they were still seeking dash cam footage or other evidence regarding the car which crossed into incoming traffic.
A large fire resulted from a fatal collision along the Nanaimo Parkway in early August, which killed the driver of a northbound SUV. (submitted photo/Bradley Bullock)Local news. Delivered. Free. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get our top local stories delivered to your email inbox every evening
info@nanaimonewsnow.com
On Twitter: @NanaimoNewsNOW










